2019 Shanghai Summer Immersion Program
The NYU Shanghai Chinese Language Program is a 9-week summer program that enables students to learn two semesters of material and earn 8 NYU Shanghai academic credits. Two levels are offered: Intermediate and Advanced.
This program is geared towards students who are serious about studying Chinese language in a totally immersive living and learning environment. This rigorous, demanding, and rewarding language program allows students to have first-hand experience using the Chinese language in real world situations as well as studying and practicing it in supportive classroom settings. Classes are held five days a week with three hours of class each morning. One-on-one tutorial sessions are held each afternoon and there is required Study Hall in the evenings to work on homework and prepare for the next day’s activities, with instructors on hand for questions as needed. In addition, a wide variety of enriching cultural activities and field trips will be organized throughout the program to broaden students’ exposure to different elements of Chinese culture.
Program Dates: May 28 - July 26. 2019
|Program Overview||Academics||Application Information||Tuition and Fees||Admitted Students|
The NYU Shanghai Summer Chinese Language Immersion program is open to undergraduates from accredited universities. Students' university records will be reviewed as part of the admissions process. Students with a 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale or higher or students who have an above-average academic history are encouraged to apply. Students will need to have completed at least one year of full-time undergraduate study by the time they enroll in the program.
Students who will be successfully accepted into this program should demonstrate:
1. A strong previous foundation in Chinese language. For the Intermediate Level Program, you must have successfully passed Elementary Chinese 1 and 2 or the equivalent of one year of Chinese language learning. For the Advanced Level Program, you must have successfully passed Intermediate 1 and 2 or the equivalent of two years of Chinese language learning.
2. Strong motivations for experiencing Chinese culture and pursuing long-term goals for Chinese language study and use.
3. Willingness to commit to a Language Pledge in which all students agree to only use Chinese for all communication for the entirety of the immersion program, including during out of class time and while off campus.
4. Excellent time management skills. This program is academically rigorous and fast-paced and requires a great deal of time and energy. Therefore, strong time management skills and the readiness to embark upon an intense, rewarding course of study is essential to effective learning in this program.
5. Willingness to actively participate. This program involves students in a lot of debates, skits, and group projects that require active collaboration with other students in the immersion program course. We look for students who respect others and can make positive contributions to the group. Students should be eager to share their experiences, support their classmates, and teach as well as learn from their peers.
*The Priority Application deadline Is February 1 The Regular Application deadline for Summer 2019 is March 1. We encourage all students to apply by the priority deadline to ensure adequate time to process immigration needs and to prepare for billing needs. If students are expecting financial aid for the summer term they should apply as early as possible to allow for processing time.
NYU students will find a link to the application in the Albert Student Center. Please log into Albert and click on "Other Resources" at the top of the page, select "Application Center", then select "NYU Shanghai" "J-term or Summer Study Abroad", and start a new application or edit a saved application.
Non NYU Students: Please click here to access the online application. Additional application materials must be submitted separately.
After submitting a completed application, students who are eligible for the next round of the application process will be contacted for an interview with the Chinese Language Program.
A complete application includes the following:
Application Form (link to online form above)
Personal Statements (instructions included within the online application)
Your personal statement should consist of 3 sections:
Describe your motivation for learning Chinese and for applying to this Immersion Program.
Describe your past experience learning Chinese, including specific strategies that have been effective in your learning and Chinese improvement.
Describe a challenge you faced and how you handled it. If you are applying for the Intermediate Level Program, you may write this section in English. If you are applying for the Advanced Level Program, you should write this section in Chinese.
Writing Sample. Please upload a sample of your own writing in Chinese on any topic related to Chinese culture, modern China society, Chinese language learning, etc. It must be written in Chinese characters, not Pinyin. If can be typed or handwritten. If handwritten, please scan and upload a PDF of your work.
Academic Transcripts. If your institution does not release official transcripts to students, then transcripts may be sent to the NYU Shanghai Global Affairs Office at email@example.com or by mail to NYU Shanghai Summer Program, 14 East 4th Street, 3rd Floor, Suite 3003 New York, NY 10003 USA. All transcripts must be in English.
Letter of Recommendation from your most recent Chinese language instructor (can be sent by email)