NYU Shanghai, in partnership with the NYU Graduate School of Arts and Science and the NYU Center for Data Science, invites applications from exceptional students for PhD study and research in Data Science.
Participating students are enrolled in the NYU GSAS Data Science PhD program, complete their coursework at the NYU Center for Data Science in New York, and then transition to full-time residence at NYU Shanghai where they undertake their doctoral research under the supervision of NYU Shanghai faculty.
Highlights of the Program
- NYU degree upon graduation
- Graduate coursework at the NYU Center for Data Science in New York
- Research opportunities with and close mentorship by NYU Shanghai faculty
- Access to the vast intellectual resources of NYU GSAS and NYU Center for Data Science
- Cutting-edge research environment at NYU Shanghai, including the Center for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence, a thriving community of PhD students, post-doctoral fellows, and research associates, activities such as a regular program of seminars and visiting academics, and links with other universities within and outside China
- Financial aid through the NYU Shanghai Doctoral Fellowship, including tuition, fees, and an annual stipend equal to stipends received by all NYU Data Science PhD students
- Additional benefits exclusive to the NYU Shanghai program, including international health insurance and travel funds
Applied Mathematics, Optimization, Probability, Signal Processing, Mathematics of Data Science, Machine Learning
Recent Publications by NYU Shanghai Faculty
- Xiaodong Li, Shuyang Ling, Thomas Strohmer, and Ke Wei. Rapid, robust, and reliable blind deconvolution via nonconvex optimization. Applied and Computational Harmonic Analysis, Volume 47, Issue 3, pp.893-934, 2019.
- Shuyang Ling, Ruitu Xu, Afonso S. Bandeira. On the landscape of synchronization networks: a perspective from nonconvex optimization, SIAM Journal on Optimization, Vol.29, No.3, pp.1879-1907, 2019.
- Shuyang Ling and Thomas Strohmer. Certifying global optimality of graph cuts via semidefinite relaxation: A performance guarantee for spectral clustering, Foundations of Computational Mathematics, 2019.
- Shuyang Ling and Thomas Strohmer. Blind deconvolution meets blind demixing: algorithms and performance bounds. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol.63, No.7, pp.4497 - 4520, Jul 2017.
- Shuyang Ling and Thomas Strohmer. Self-calibration and biconvex compressive sensing. Inverse Problems, Vol. 31(11): 115002, 2015.
Selected Faculty Features
Structure of Program
Participating students complete the PhD degree requirements set by the NYU Center for Data Science and in accordance with the academic policies of NYU GSAS. Each student develops an individualized course plan in consultation with the Director of Graduate Study at the NYU Center for Data Science and the student’s NYU Shanghai faculty advisor. A typical sequence follows:
Begin program with funded research rotation, up to 3 months preceding first Fall semester, to familiarize with NYU Shanghai and faculty as well as lay a foundation for future doctoral study.
(Fall and Spring)
in New York
Pursue PhD coursework at NYU Center for Data Science alongside other NYU PhD students.
Return to Shanghai for second funded research rotation to solidify relationships with NYU Shanghai faculty and make further progress in research.
through Year 5
Under supervision of NYU Shanghai faculty advisor, pursue dissertation research and continue coursework. Depending on each student’s individualized course of study, return visits to New York may also occur. Complete all required examinations and progress evaluations, both oral and written, leading up to submission and defense of doctoral thesis.
To learn more about the NYU Data Science PhD program degree requirements, please visit this page.
Application Process and Dates
Applications are to be submitted through the NYU GSAS Application portal, within which students should select the Data Science PhD as their program of interest, and then indicate their preference for NYU Shanghai by marking the appropriate checkbox when prompted. Applicants will be evaluated by a joint admissions committee of New York and Shanghai faculty. Application requirements are set by the NYU Center for Data Science and are the same as those for all NYU PhD applicants, no matter their campus preference; however, candidates are recommended to elaborate in their application and personal statements about their specific interests in the NYU Shanghai program and faculty.
The NYU GSAS Application portal is now open for Fall 2020 admission, and the deadline is December 12, 2019. Applications are only accepted for Fall admission.
Interested students are welcome to contact Vivien Du, program coordinator of the NYU Shanghai Data Science PhD, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with any inquiries or to request more information.