NYU Shanghai, in partnership with the NYU Graduate School of Arts and Science and the NYU Department of Biology, invites applications from exceptional students for PhD study and research in Biology.
Participating students are enrolled in the NYU GSAS Biology PhD program, complete their coursework at the NYU Department of Biology in New York, and then transition to full-time residence at NYU Shanghai where they undertake their doctoral research under the supervision of NYU Shanghai faculty.
Highlights of the Program
- NYU degree upon graduation
- Graduate coursework at the NYU Department of Biology in New York
- Research opportunities with and close mentorship by NYU Shanghai faculty
- Access to the vast intellectual resources of NYU GSAS and NYU Department of Biology
- Cutting-edge research environment at NYU Shanghai, including a thriving community of PhD students, post-doctoral fellows, and research associates, activities such as a regular program of seminars and visiting academics, and links with other universities within and outside China
- Financial aid through the NYU Shanghai Doctoral Fellowship, including tuition, fees, and an annual stipend equal to stipends received by all NYU Biology PhD students
- Additional benefits exclusive to the NYU Shanghai program, including international health insurance, housing assistance in New York, and travel funds
Recent Publications by NYU Shanghai Faculty
- KBase: The United States Department of Energy Systems Biology Knowledgebase.Nature biotechnology 36 (7), 566, 2018
- Improving drug discovery with high-content phenotypic screens by systematic selection of reporter cell lines. Kang J et. al. Nature Biotechnology (2016) 34:70-77.
- Unknown unknowns: essential genes in quest for function. A Danchin, G Fang, Microbial biotechnology 9 (5), 530-540 2016
- Pangolin genomes and the evolution of mammalian scales and immunity Genome research 26(10):1312-1322, 2016
- Comparative analysis of the transcriptome across distant species Nature 512 (7515), 445 166 2014
- Transcriptomic and phylogenetic analysis of a bacterial cell cycle reveals strong associations between gene co-expression and evolution G Fang, KD Passalacqua, J Hocking, PM Llopis, M Gerstein, NH Bergman, BMC genomics 14 (1), 450, 2014
- Mitotic centromeric targeting of HP1 and its binding to Sgo1 are dispensable for sister-chromatid cohesion in human cells. Kang J et. al. Mol. Biol. Cell (2011) 22:1181-1190.
- Kinase signaling in the spindle checkpoint. Kang J et. al. J. Biol. Chem. (2009) 284:15359-63.
Selected Faculty Features
"A New Way to Screen Cancer Drugs" (Jungseog Kang)
Structure of Program
Participating students complete the PhD degree requirements set by the NYU Department of Biology and in accordance with the academic policies of NYU GSAS. Each student develops an individualized course and research plan in consultation with the Director of Graduate Study at the NYU Department of Biology and the student’s NYU Shanghai faculty advisor. A typical sequence follows:
Begin program with funded research rotation, up to 3 months preceding first Fall semester, to familiarize with NYU Shanghai and faculty as well as lay a foundation for future doctoral study.
(Fall and Spring)
in New York
Complete PhD coursework at Department of Biology alongside other NYU PhD students.
Return to Shanghai for second funded research rotation to solidify relationships with NYU Shanghai faculty and make further progress in research.
through Year 5
Under supervision of NYU Shanghai faculty advisor, pursue dissertation research and continue coursework. Depending on each student’s individualized course of study, return visits to New York may also occur. Complete all required examinations and progress evaluations, both oral and written, leading up to submission and defense of doctoral thesis.
To learn more about the NYU Biology PhD program degree requirements, please visit this page.
|Xiaoai Lyu||Molecular Biology, Cell Biology|
Application Process and Dates
Applications are to be submitted through the NYU GSAS Application portal, within which students should select the Biology PhD as their program of interest, and then indicate their preference for NYU Shanghai by marking the appropriate checkbox when prompted. Applicants will be evaluated by a joint admissions committee of New York and Shanghai faculty. Application requirements are set by the NYU Department of Biology and are the same as those for all NYU PhD applicants, no matter their campus preference; however, candidates are recommended to elaborate in their application and personal statements about their specific interests in the NYU Shanghai program and faculty.
The NYU GSAS Application portal is now open for Fall 2022 admission, and the deadline is November 15, 2021. Applications are only accepted for Fall admission.
Interested students are welcome to contact Vivien Du, program coordinator of the NYU Shanghai Biology PhD, via email at email@example.com with any inquiries or to request more information.