- Deadline: The pass/fail deadline is usually at the end of the 9th week of each term (the fourth week of a six-week summer session).
- For Shanghai courses, please refer to the NYU Shanghai academic calendar for the deadline to change the grading basis.
- For courses offered at global sites, please follow the deadline at each global site.
- Grading: For students choosing to take courses as pass/fail, will have a "P" or "F" grade recorded on their transcripts. A grade of “P” includes grades of A, B, C, and D.
- Grade Point Average (GPA): A grade of “P” is not counted in your grade point average. A grade of “F” is counted in your grade point average.
- Credits: Students may elect one course to take as pass/fail each term, including summer sessions, for a total of no more than 32 credits during their college career.
- Degree Requirement: The pass/fail option may not be elected for any major requirement courses, minor requirement courses, or any courses taken to fulfill Core Curriculum requirements.
- Preprofessional Courses: Students considering the pass/fail option in their area of study or in required preprofessional courses should consult with their advisor about the impact of P/F grades on admission to graduate and professional schools.
- Academic Probation: For students currently on Academic Probation, a grade of “P” will automatically lead to Continued Probation for the following semester.
- Flexible Grading Policy for Spring 2020, Fall 2020, Spring 2021, Spring 2022.
Course Withdrawal Policy
- Deadline: Same as the pass/fail deadline above. Check the NYU Shanghai academic calendar.
- Full-time Status: Students are expected to maintain a full-time program (minimum 12 credits) and will not be able to reduce their program to part-time status if they are enrolled in a full-time program at the start of the semester.
- Grading: Students will receive a "W" grade on their transcript for the withdrawn course(s).