Are you a Non-US Citizen?
Interested in staying in NYC or DC over the summer?
Want to pursue an internship or research experience?
Tuesday, May 28th from 7-9 pm
Thursday, May 30th from 7-9 pm
Tuesday, July 30th from 7-9 pm
Thursday, August 1st from 7-9 pm
IMPORTANT: Attendance Policy: Although this course has many moving parts (online assessments, email discussions, etc.), students are required to attend the four in-class sessions in-person unless their absence is excused under law and/or University policy. Since there are only four in-person sessions for the entire semester, any unexcused absence will have a significant negative impact on the student's final grade and may affect their ability to complete the course and the internship. Failure to attend class also could result in the loss of their F-1 student status.
It is important to note that there is one option for students who have studied in NY/DC for one academic year and another for students who have not. Please be sure to review the policy below that applies to you. These links include information about the application process along with necessary information about extending your visa.
The application and supporting materials submission deadline will be announced soon. Please be aware that students must secure an internship or research opportunity prior to submitting an application.
The application process consists of the following steps:
- Secure internship or research opportunity. (*Must be within four hours of New York City by ground transportation)
- Complete and submit online Summer 2019 Practicum Course Application with offer letter uploaded and attached.
- Applications will be reviewed by NYU Shanghai Career Development Center and Academic Affairs.
- Students will be notified of final decisions regarding approval by mid-April.
- If approved, students will be sent a required contract which must by signed by the company and returned.
- For students pursuing Curricular Practical Training (CPT), a hard copy of the completed CPT form must be dropped off to the NYU Shanghai office in NY (14 East 4th Street, 3rd Floor). This should be done as soon as you can to expedite the approval process.
Students are approved for the 1-credit Practicum course based on the experiential learning experience(s) (internship or research) that they present with their application materials. A student who wants to change their experiential learning experience (internship or research) or add a second experiential learning experience prior to the start of the 1-credit Practicum course must submit a new application (with the offer letter for the new or second experiential learning experience) for approval. Students may not change their experiential learning experience (internship or research) or add a second experiential learning experience after April 19, 2019 at 5:00pm EST. We encourage you to read the policy in its entirety before reaching out with any questions. Contact Malina Webb at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions after reviewing these materials.