This page guides you through the course registration process. It is highly recommended for students to prepare the registration at least one week before the registration starts.
Students can review the frequently asked questions below or contact academic advisor with registration questions. Advisors typically respond to students within 2-3 business days. Please note that the Office of Academic Advising receives a high volume of inquiries during the registration period, so there might be a delay in response.
Fall 2020 Course Registration Instructions [11/2/2021]
Step 1: Explore courses
Course offerings are available in Albert Course Search. We suggest you note down the classes that interest you, what degree requirements they fulfill, and whether you meet the prerequisites.
Explore Shanghai Courses
|Core Curriculum Courses||Major Courses|
Explore Courses Out of Shanghai
|Global Course List||Global Courses Satisfying Shanghai Degree Requirements|
*If a course you want to register for is not listed on the Global Courses Satisfying Shanghai Degree Requirements sheet, you can request a course evaluation.
Step 2: Prepare your course plan
Each semester, students should normally enroll in 16 credits. It is recommended that first-year and second-year students take core curriculum courses to explore their academic interests. Upper-class students should check their degree progress report to see what requirements remain for degree completion and plan their semester accordingly.
Step 3: Get your advisor approval hold released
Steps to have your Advisor Approval Hold lifted and register for courses:
- Complete the course plan and email it to your academic advisor (required)
- Complete the Major Curriculum Worksheet (recommended - this worksheet allows you to map out the courses you have completed and the courses that you need to complete in order to graduate)
- Schedule an appointment with your academic advisor (first and second year students and/or any student who received one or more mid-term grades lower than a C are required to schedule an appointment. Other students may schedule an appointment as needed.)
Step 4: Add courses to Albert, validate, and enroll
- Validate your courses to avoid time conflicts or issues with prerequisites. Refer to the Albert Registration Cheatsheet to guide the validation process (e.g. prerequisite is not met, instructor consent, department consent). Or refer to FAQ 4 for global courses validation questions.
- Enroll in courses when the registration window is open. If a preferred course is wait-listed, you can set up an edit-swap. This will tell the system to automatically enroll you when seats are available.