This page guides you through the course registration process. It is highly recommended for students to prepare the registration at least one week before the registration starts.
Students can review the frequently asked questions below or contact academic advisor with registration questions. Advisors typically respond to students within 2-3 business days. Please note that the Office of Academic Advising receives a high volume of inquiries during the registration period, so there might be a delay in response.
Step 1: Explore courses
Course offerings are available in Albert Course Search (log-in is not required). We suggest you note down the classes that interest you, what degree requirements they fulfill, and whether you meet the prerequisites.
Explore Shanghai Courses
|Core Curriculum Courses
Explore Courses Out of Shanghai
|Global Course List
|Global Courses Satisfying Shanghai Degree Requirements
* If a course you want to register for is not listed on the Global Courses Satisfying Shanghai Degree Requirements sheet, you can request a course evaluation.
** Credits from any courses taken in NYU’s School of Professional Studies & Internet and online courses [from other divisions or schools of NYU] will not be counted toward major requirements, the GPA, or the minimum 128 credits required for graduation.
Step 2: Prepare your course plan
Each semester, students should normally enroll in 16 credits. It is recommended that first-year and second-year students take core curriculum courses to explore their academic interests. Upper-class students should check their degree progress report to see what requirements remain for degree completion and plan their semester accordingly. Below are some considerations when selecting courses:
make sure you have fulfilled the prerequisite(s) for courses you want to take
check the time for each course to avoid scheduling conflicts
Step 3: Get your advisor's approval hold released
Fall and Spring Registration:
First and second-year students and any students who are on probation will have an Advisor Approval Hold on Albert's account. If you have an Advisor Approval Hold, you are required to follow the instructions below to get your hold released.
- Complete the course plan and email it to your academic advisor (required)
- Complete the Major Curriculum Worksheet or Four-year Plan (recommended - this worksheet allows you to map out the courses you have completed and the courses that you need to complete in order to graduate)
- Schedule an appointment with your academic advisor
Junior and senior students who are in good academic standing are welcome to schedule an appointment with your academic advisor if you would like to do a degree progress audit or have any questions about course registrations.
J-term and Summer Registration:
All students would need to complete the course plan and email it to your academic advisor to get your Advisor Approval Hold released.
New York summer course registration: Students who intend to enroll in summer courses in New York are required to complete the Interest form in slate. Completing this form will enable the Global Programs New York City staff to support students over the summer, including access to on-campus summer housing and other facilities. Upon completion of this intake, you will have access to the NYU New York Summer Enrollment Portal.
Step 4: Add courses to Albert, validate, and enroll
- Validate your courses to avoid time conflicts or issues with prerequisites. Refer to the Albert Registration Cheatsheet to guide the validation process (e.g. prerequisite is not met, instructor consent, department consent). Or refer to FAQ 4 for global courses validation questions.
- Enroll in courses when the registration window is open. If a preferred course is wait-listed, you can set up an edit-swap. This will tell the system to automatically enroll you when seats are available.