A counselor or a physician should make a recommendation if a medical leave of absence is the appropriate choice for the student. Please refer to the Medical Leave of Absence Student Guide 病休学生指南 for more information.
If students request a medical leave of absence for the current term they are enrolled in, they should submit the request before the last day of classes.
If students request a medical leave of absence for a future term, they should submit the request before the last day of the term that they request for.
NYU Shanghai Academic Calendar
Things to Consider
- Health and Wellness - If you are experiencing a health issue that is interfering with your studies, please contact the Student Health Center for a recommendation on a medical leave.
- Academic - How will your academic progress and graduation plan be impacted? Schedule an appointment to discuss with your academic advisor.
- Financial - How will your financial aid or scholarship package be impacted? Contact the Financial Aid team to learn more. Check the Tuition Refund Policy and schedule.
- Housing - Will you need to cancel or move out of student housing? Contact the Residential Life team.
Requesting a Medical Leave of Absence
- Make an appointment with the Student Health Center to discuss taking a medical leave of absence.
- Submit the leave of absence request.
- The Dean of Students will make a decision on the leave of absence request.
- You will receive an email confirmation once the leave has been approved.
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss how the leave of absence will impact your academic plan and degree progress.