This page provides important information and links for first-year students who will start their fall semester at NYU Shanghai. Please read the following information carefully. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
Activating Your NYU Email
The summer before you arrive at NYU Shanghai, you will receive important information, tasks, and deadlines via email. Please note that the personal email address you provided in your application to NYU Shanghai will only be used for the first newsletter from New Student Programs. All subsequent communication will be delivered to your NYU email only.
Applying for a Student Visa (International Students)
All international students must have a valid China student visa to study in China. Our Student Mobility Team will do everything possible to help you with your visa, but ultimately the Chinese government and your local consulate have the authority to issue a visa. It is therefore important to fully understand the requirements of your local consulate and provide all relevant documents when you apply for your visa.
An official invitation letter confirming that you are enrolled to study at NYU Shanghai is one of the crucial pieces of documentation you will need. In order to produce this letter, please fill out the Visa Survey from our Student Mobility Team. The Visa Survey will be included in the first newsletter you receive from New Student Programs. We strongly advise that you complete this Visa Survey as soon as possible. Any delay in filling out the Survey may negatively impact whether you will be able to study at NYU Shanghai.
If you have any questions about visa and immigration procedures, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Starting May 18, 2020, you will receive a series of summer newsletters that will help you prepare for your journey to NYU Shanghai. All newsletters will be sent to your NYU email address, so make sure you set up your NYU email to avoid missing important information.
Timeline for Summer Communication
- May 18: University Welcome, Setup NYU Email, Visa Survey and General Information.
- May 29: Welcome form Orientation Ambassadors, Class of 2024 Social Media Platforms.
- June 12: Billing, NYU ID Card, Residence Hall and Housing Application.
- June 26: Chinese Cultures, Survival Chinese and Useful Apps.
- July 10: Welcome from Academic Affairs, Academic Preparations.
- July 24: Life in Shanghai, Packing Tips and Arrival Information.
- August 7: Summer Reading, Pre-departure Online Orientation.
- August 21: Welcome Chinese Students, Move-in Arrangements and Orientation Schedule.
Please note the following:
- Due to the Chinese admissions process, students with Chinese nationality will only start to receive official correspondence by email after August 25, 2020.
- This schedule was updated on May 18, 2020.
- This is a tentative schedule and changes may be made to the content and or dates of these newsletters. If there are major date changes, New Student Programs will notify you by email.
Online Pre-Arrival Orientation
Living away from your family and starting university is challenging. To help you in this process, we have designed an interactive online Pre-Arrival Orientation that will help you prepare for NYU Shanghai. As you watch videos created by New Student Programs and take quizzes, you will pick up important safety tips and begin to familiarize yourself with the university resources that will help you succeed at NYU Shanghai.
If you are a new Chinese learner or want to know more about navigating the city, we have created optional Pre-Arrival Modules that you can complete.
Access to our Pre-Arrival Orientation and our optional Pre-Arrival Modules will be emailed to you during the Summer. Your Pre-Arrival Orientation must be completed before you arrive to NYU Shanghai for Freshman Orientation.
How can you prepare for your arrival at NYU Shanghai? Follow the links below to make sure you've got all the information you need:
- Check the Visa page to learn about getting your Visa to China
- Purchase your tickets to Shanghai through NYU Traveler's Egencia and read the booking guidelines for Egencia.
- Visit the Residential Life page and fill out the housing application.
- Learn about Life in Shanghai to prepare for your transition to this new city.
- Read our Packing Tips before you start packing.
- Set up your official NYU email address and explore IT Support Services.