This page provides important information and links for first-year students who will start their fall semester at NYU Shanghai. Please read the following information carefully. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Activating Your NYU Email
The summer before you arrive at NYU Shanghai, you will receive important information, tasks, and deadlines via email. Please note that the personal email address you provided in your application to NYU Shanghai will only be used for the first newsletter from New Student Programs. All subsequent communication will be delivered to your NYU email only.
Applying for a Student Visa (International Students)
All international students must have a valid China student visa to study in China. Our Student Mobility Team will do everything possible to help you with your visa, but ultimately the Chinese government and your local consulate have the authority to issue a visa. It is therefore important to fully understand the requirements of your local consulate and provide all relevant documents when you apply for your visa.
An official invitation letter confirming that you are enrolled to study at NYU Shanghai is one of the crucial pieces of documentation you will need. In order to produce this letter, please fill out the Visa Survey from our Student Mobility Team. The Visa Survey will be included in the first newsletter you receive from New Student Programs. We strongly advise that you complete this Visa Survey as soon as possible. Any delay in filling out the Survey may negatively impact whether you will be able to study at NYU Shanghai.
If you have any questions about visa and immigration procedures, please contact email@example.com
Starting May 19, 2021, you will receive a series of summer newsletters that will help you prepare for your journey to NYU Shanghai. All newsletters will be sent to your NYU email address, so make sure you set up your NYU email to avoid missing important information.
Timeline for Summer Communication
- May 10: Welcome and Visa Preparation
- May 19: NYU Account and General Information
- June 2: Welcome from Student Life and the Orientation Ambassadors
- June 16: Billing, Residence Hall and Housing Application
- June 30: Academic Affairs and Academic Preparations
- July 14: Chinese Cultures, Survival Chinese and Useful Apps
- July 21: Welcome Chinese Students (to admitted Chinese students only)
- July 28: Summer Reading and Pre-departure Online Summer Modules
- August 11: Move-in Arrangements and Orientation Schedule
Please note the following:
- Due to the Chinese admissions process, students with Chinese nationality will only start to receive official correspondence by email after July 21, 2021.
- This schedule was updated on May 7, 2021.
- This is a tentative schedule and changes may be made to the content and or dates of these newsletters. If there are major date changes, New Student Programs will notify you by email.
Pre-Arrival Online Summer Modules
Living away from your family and starting university is challenging. To help you in this process, we have designed an interactive online Pre-Arrival Orientation that will help you prepare for NYU Shanghai. As you watch videos and take quizzes, you will gain knowledge on course registration, academic and library resource, as well as important tips on getting a fully living experience on campus and in the city that helps you succeed at NYU Shanghai. By completing all the online modules and quizzes, you will receive a special gift when you arrive on campus.
The access to our Pre-Arrival Online Summer Modules will be emailed to you in one of the summer newsletter. You must complete the mandatory modules to gain access to fall course registration.
How can you prepare for your arrival at NYU Shanghai? Follow the links below to make sure you've got all the information you need:
- Check the Visa Page to learn about getting your Visa to China
- Purchase your tickets to Shanghai through NYU Traveler's Egencia and read the booking guidelines for Egencia.
- Visit the Residential Life page and fill out the housing application.
- Learn about Life in Shanghai to prepare for your transition to this new city.
- Read our Packing Tips before you start packing.
- Set up your official NYU email address and explore IT Support Services.