Work and Intern in China

Intern in Shanghai

Off-campus Internship Registration for International Students

Intern in Shanghai

International students in China must meet the following requirements BEFORE starting an off-campus internship. Failure to do so will be considered as Illegal Employment and will be subject to fines and other disciplinary action from the Chinese government and Exit-Entry Bureau.

  1. The international student should be enrolled in a degree or exchange program at a school that has received qualifications to recruit foreign students in Shanghai.
  2. The international student has obtained a study residence permit from the Shanghai Exit-Entry Bureau.
  3. The student has received an official memo from the Exit-Entry Bureau on their residence permit.
  4. The student may not hold more than one concurrent off-campus internship.
  5. The off campus internship must be UNPAID positions and must be relevant to the student’s majors. Transportation and meal allowances are permitted.
  6. The internship period should be less than 180 days. If students have an internship for longer than 180 days, they must re-register every 180 days.

Who is eligible to intern in China:

  • Study Away students
    • Stay in China for less than 180 days, NOT ELIGIBLE
    • Stay in China for more than 180 days, ELIGIBLE
  • NYU Shanghai International students
    • 180 days X2 short-term student visa, NOT ELIGIBLE
    • Full-time NYU Shanghai students, ELIGIBLE

Off-Campus Internship Registration Process Guideline

Exit-Entry Bureau Address

Shanghai Exit-Entry Administration Bureau 上海市公安局出入境管理局
No. 1500 Min Sheng Road, Pudong District 浦东新区民生路1500 号

Office Hours: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday to Saturday (except national holidays)
Tel: (021) 2895-1900

Work in Shanghai

Currently, different cities have different talent policies in China.
According to current regulations in Shanghai, foreign graduates (having graduated within two years) are eligible to work in

  • 4 Free Trade Zone
    China (Shanghai) Pilot Free Trade Zone, Zhangjiang National Innovation Demonstration Zone, Lingang Special Area, or Hongqiao Central Business District
  • 5 new towns
    Jiading, Qingpu, Songjiang, Fengxian and Nanhui
  • be employed by any organization included in Shanghai Sci-Tech Innovation Occupation List

For more information, please click HERE to read more.

CCD Recommends

  • Company List
    This company list includes companies that have hired our NYU Shanghai international students as full-time employers and interns in the previous years. Try to network with your alumni to gain more opportunities.
  • Career Fair
    Each semester, CCD holds an on-campus career fair with employers from different industries. Many of those companies hire international students. Stay tuned for CCD events and come interact with the employers in-person to learn about the job market and get on-site interviews.
  • Career Development Resources for International Students
    CCD sends out Newsletters that collect the latest updates on weekly events and job opportunities for international students each Thursdays during the semester. Find it in your mailbox with the title “Career Development Resources for International Students”.