Admitted Students: Deferring Your Enrollment
If you've been offered admission as a first-year student to NYU Shanghai, you may request to defer your enrollment for one full year. If your request is approved and you meet the requirements listed below, you do not have to file a new application are are guaranteed readmission for the following year.
Important things to be aware of:
- You will still have to pay a non-refundable enrollment deposit for your original start term tuition. This payment will be credited toward your first term at NYU Shanghai.
- You will be required to pay an additional $500 enrollment deposit when you re-confirm your enrollment by January 8th of next year. The payment will also be credited toward your first term at NYU Shanghai.
- We consider students who are deferring their enrollment to be much like Early Decision students who have committed to attend NYU Shanghai. As a result, you will be held to the same expectations and deadlines as our other Early Decision students, which includes not filing new applications to other colleges or universities.
In essence, if you are approved to defer your enrollment, you are committed to enrolling at NYU but are simply making that commitment a year in advance.
Requirements for Deferment
- Complete the NYU Deferred Enrollment Application and Agreement form by August 1.
- You may not defer your enrollment to attend another college or university.
- You may not defer your enrollment to apply to other colleges and universities during your time away from NYU Shanghai. If you do your NYU Shanghai admission will be revoked.
- Forward your final high school transcript indicating date of graduation to the NYU Office of Undergraduate Admissions immediately upon graduation. It is your responsibility to ensure that an official, final high school transcript is received by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
Other Things to Consider When Deferring Enrollment
Communication with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions
You must confirm your intention to enroll for the subsequent fall or spring (depending on the term for which you were offered admission) by submitting a second $500 enrollment deposit when requested to do so. Also know that we will not allow you to enroll at NYU Shanghai if we do not receive a final high school transcript from you showing proof that you have graduated.
All students who have been approved for deferred enrollment should understand the following regarding their financial aid:
Students approved to defer their enrollment for one year and who received a financial aid package with their original offer of admission can expect that the NYU Shanghai portion of their package (i.e. NYU scholarships and grants) will also be deferred and received in full as originally offered as long as the following criteria are met:
- U.S. Citizens and U.S. Permanent Residents: It is not necessary to re-submit the CSS PROFILE, as scholarship eligibility will not be reevaluated. However, you must fill out the new Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the upcoming academic year by February 15 (11:59pm EST) in order to be reviewed for federal financial aid and to secure any scholarship you were initially offered.
- Non U.S. Citizens/Non U.S. Permanent Residents: You will need to submit a CSS PROFILE for the upcoming academic year by February 15 (11:59pm EST) to secure any scholarship you were initially offered.
- Chinese Nationals: It is not necessary to file the CSS PROFILE. For questions about your aid eligibility please contact the NYU Shanghai Office of Admissions at +86-21-2059-5599 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are approved to defer your enrollment, you will be offered a space our NYU Shanghai residence hall for your new term of entry. Housing is guaranteed for all of our first-year students who meet our deadlines and requirements.