In addition to excelling in the pre-requisite coursework and entrance exam, schools of the health professions expect prospective applicants to have developed a rich portfolio of experiences that have informed their understanding of health care, challenged their intellect, and demonstrated their commitment to others. Prospective applicants are strongly recommended to get involved in clinical experience, research experience, civic engagement, student clubs and organization.
Not sure how and where to gain experience:
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to check out student clubs & organizations.
- Apply for a student leadership position in the student government.
- Learn more about community service and learning opportunities through Office of Community Engagement Learning.
- Contact Career Development Center to arrange a clinic visit or gain shadowing experience. Read the Guidelines for Clinical Shadowing Experiences for Pre-Medical Students.
- Get involved in multicultural programs with NYU Shanghai Diversity Initiatives.
Reference: NYU College of Arts and Science Prehealth