2018 Program Overview
Welcome to NYU Shanghai! We are excited to have you for January Term in Shanghai. To provide the best possible experience during your J-term course in Shanghai, please review the important information on this page, including academic policies, programming, cultural activities and other resources.
January Term 2018 (January 3 - 19)
- Please make sure you bring your NYU ID card.
- Students from other universities who do not yet have an NYU ID card, please submit a photo through https://photoid.nyu.edu or go to Room 118 to get your new ID card after you arrive.
- Students from other universities should login to your NYU Home page to activate your NYU email account.
- Make up session for courses: There are no classes on the morning of Tuesday, January 3rd. Your instructor will announce the make up plan.
- Please be sure to check the course schedule again and make sure you will stay till the last day of your course before booking your trip. Also, we advise you not to make travel plans during the program before receiving your syllabus.
CANCELLATION OF LICENSE And Housing:
As housing is required for the program, NYU Shanghai will hold spaces for students enrolled in the J-Term program that would otherwise be offered to student from different programs. Therefore, students must adhere to the following cancellation policy around housing:
Students who cancel their housing before December 5 will be charged a 500 USD cancellation fee.
Students who cancel their housing after December 5 will be charged their entire housing fee and receive no refund.
The cancellation policy applies regardless of whether you fill out the housing application and is in addition to any program cancellation fees.
The Shanghai Mobility Team and the Office of Global Services (OGS) in New York are here to guide you through your visa process.
Step 1: Upload your passport Image here.
Please review the J-term Visa Instructions.
Should you have any questions regarding visa and immigration, please feel free to contact OGS at email@example.com or Student Mobility at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. You are also welcome to check the NYU Shanghai student portal for more information.
We hope you enjoyed the Orientation and you can refer to Orientation slides below:
Please review the 2017-2018 NYU Shanghai Academic Calendar for important dates and deadlines:
|J-term Orientation||Wednesday, January 3|
|J-term Classes Begin||Wednesday, January 3|
|Add and Drop Course Deadline||Wednesday, January 3|
Saturday, January 6
|Course Withdrawal Deadline||Friday, January 12|
|Grading Option (P/F) Deadline||Friday, January 12|
|Last Day of J-term Classes||Friday, January 19|
Please email email@example.com for your request to drop from a course. For information on the refund schedule, J-term session students should consult the Bursar’s webpage for more information. NYU Shanghai degree seeking students should refer to the Shanghai bursar’s webpage.
- Academic Accommodations
Any student who needs a reasonable academic accommodation based on a diagnosed qualified disability is required to register with the NYU Moses Center for Students with Disabilities (CSD). The registration instructions are below.
Registration Process For Academic Accommodations
- Complete an Application for Services form here.
- Gather and submit current documentation of your disability (electronic copies).
- Submit a signed Authorization for Release of Information form so that the Moses Center has your permission to contact your clinician if necessary.
- After you have emailed the above, your request for accommodations will be reviewed by a Moses Center disability specialist.
Any questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Laura Cheng, Manager of Global Affairs, serves as the primary contact in Shanghai for the J-term program. Do not hesitate to contact her for academic support at email@example.com.
Student Life has arranged a several interesting cultural activities for students to explore the city during 2018 J-term. There is still time to sign up for these activities and please email firstname.lastname@example.org if y ou are still interested. You can find attached cultural programming description for details of these events.
- Welcome Dinner, 6 PM – 7:30 PM, January 4th, 2018 (encourage all to attend)
- Guided Shanghai City Tour, 9 AM – 5 PM, January 7th, 2018
- 1-day Suzhou Trip, 8 AM – 6:30 PM, January 13th, 2018
- Farewell Dinner, 6 PM – 8 PM, January 17th, 2018 (encourage all to attend)
Breakfast: Chinese food counter only ,Open from 7:00-9:45AM
Lunch: Chinese food counter and halal counter, Open from 11:00AM-13:45PM
Dinner: Halal counter only, Open from 17:00-19:30PM
* January 6 (Saturday, Legistlative Day) 1F Halal counter(rice/noodle served wit
1F teppanyaki counter(Teppanyaki udon)
2F Cafe bar (Chicken and ham cheese sandwich