Welcome to the NYU Shanghai Class of 2022!
The Academic Advising Office is here to assist you with selecting your courses for the first semester.
Please carefully review the following steps in this process and fill out your Course Registration Survey before the assigned deadline. If you have any questions about this registration process, don’t hesitate to contact the academic advising office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) First, think about what academic disciplines you are interested in pursuing at this time. NYU Shanghai embraces the idea of a liberal arts education. Students do not have majors in the first year. The earliest that you can declare a major is towards the end of freshman year. Thus, we encourage you to take advantage of your first year in college as a chance to try out different subjects and see what might be right for you!
2) Watch the Core Curriculum Module and Core Curriculum Student Testimonials, and familiarize yourself with NYU Shanghai’s Core Curriculum Requirements. NYU Shanghai is aimed to give students a strong, globally-oriented foundation in the liberal arts and sciences. This core curriculum will help students develop the ability to think analytically, read critically, and write effectively. Some of the courses that you can select to take in your first semester can fulfill a core curriculum requirement.
3) Carefully read the “Freshmen Course Selection” page to get an idea of what your first semester course load can look like depending on the disciplines that you are interested in. You can also find courses open to you in fall 2018 on the same page.
4) Once you have a good understanding of the curriculum and the course offerings, fill out your Fall 2018 Course Registration Survey. If you have any questions while considering your options, check out the “Frequently Asked Questions” page to see if there is an answer already there. If you can’t find an answer on that page, don’t hesitate to email the Academic Advising Office at email@example.com.
5) After looking through your survey, the Office of the Registrar will enroll you in a schedule of courses according to your preferences and course availability. Note that it is not guaranteed that you will get all of your top choices or a perfect schedule (that would in fact be exceptional!). Please make sure that you have reviewed the course description and carefully thought about the six courses you have selected in your survey. You will be notified via your NYU email address once your schedule is ready for viewing online in “Albert”, NYU’s registrations system. If you have any questions or concerns about your schedule, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
6) During Orientation, you can meet with your academic advisor in-person to go over your course schedule and any academic questions.
Note: Any student who needs reasonable academic accommodations based on a diagnosed qualified disability is required to register with the NYU Moses Center for Students with Disabilities (CSD). Please find information here.