Our students have unique stories to tell. Please click on the videos above to learn more about their inspiring commentaries and successes.
NYUSPS at NYU Shanghai offers three levels of English. Each level provides courses to help you better communicate in your work or academic environment, and with colleagues and business associates here in Shanghai and around the world. Whether you have only minimal knowledge of English and need to acquire stronger language skills for communication purposes; you have a basic knowledge of English, but do not often use it; or you have strong English language skills and seek to increase your vocabulary and improve grammatical accuracy to better serve your own professional interests or your company, there are programs of study to meet your goals and objectives. Courses allow you to focus on an area of your choosing, while mastering the English language skills associated with it. Faculty members and administrators will help to guide your class choices based upon your level of English and on what you hope to accomplish.
Perhaps you are an individual who has studied English in school, but who has forgotten much of what you learned. Maybe you studied English in a way that stressed grammar and translation, but that provided little practice in English communication. If so, then the Elementary courses are for you. They will help you to use the English that you previously learned for basic communication in the work environment as well in more casual settings including home, and if you are a student, in school.
In elementary courses you will
● Improve your listening skills by participating in English-only classes
● Improve your speaking skills by creating and practicing dialogues and roleplays
● Review basic English grammar and sentence patterns, and complete short writing assignments
● Boost your vocabulary and reading speed by completing reading assignments and actively organizing and memorizing assigned vocabulary
Upon completing a series of Elementary courses, you will be able to understand basic English instructions, converse about familiar topics, and write short paragraphs.
Our intermediate courses are designed for individuals who have the English communication skills to converse at length about familiar topics and the ability to identify main ideas in spoken and written texts of modest length and complexity. These courses will help you to develop the skills and the confidence you need to understand English spoken by proficient or native speakers in business settings and beyond. You will develop the language proficiency you need to tackle a range of general and professional topics.
In intermediate courses you will
● Improve your listening skills by using textbooks, activities, and video and audio recordings from a range of sources
● Improve speaking skills by discussing familiar topics with class members, expressing opinions on news items and current events, and making prepared speeches and presentations
● Review intermediate grammar and sentence patterns and complete longer writing assignments
● Boost vocabulary and reading comprehension by reading and responding to newspaper articles, short fiction, and reading passages on general or professional topics
Upon completing a series of Intermediate courses, you will be able to understand and communicate clearly and effectively with other English speakers on a broad range of general and work-related topics.
If you have strong English communications skills, but wish to further develop your English for use in the workplace or for additional English study, the advanced courses are for you. Advanced learners may be planning to take professional courses in English, or they may need a higher level of English to meet new demands at their workplace. Advanced classes will help you to develop specialized vocabulary, improve grammatical accuracy, express and support opinions clearly, and raise communication skills to a level acceptable for professional use.
In advanced courses you will
● Gain the ability to listen to and understand authentic English, such as TV reports, TED talks, podcasts, or other sources produced for native or proficient English speakers
● Engage in discussions and debates on current issues, develop negotiation skills, and learn to make effective presentations
● Learn to apply intermediate and advanced grammatical structures for more effective communication, and practice writing using a range of rhetorical forms, such as argumentaion and summarization, and genres, such as academic papers or business reports
● Build your specialized vocabulary related to business, industry, and academic study, by reading, summarizing, and discussing authentic written texts from various contexts
After completing a series of advanced courses, you will be better prepared to use English effectively in professional situations or to pursue further education in English or a professional area of specialty.
Unsure of your level? Complete this self-assessment checklist.
If you are still unsure of your English-language proficiency and would like some guidance in deciding upon the class that is right for you, please call +86-021-2059-5960 for a private consultation.