Xuan Li is an Assistant Professor of Psychology at NYU Shanghai. She is also an affiliated member of the NYU-ECNU Institute for Social Development at NYU Shanghai and the Department of Applied Psychology at the NYU Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development. Prior to joining NYU Shanghai, she was a research associate at the German Youth Institute (Deutsches Jugendinstitut) in Munich, Germany.
Li ’s research focuses on fatherhood, parent-child interactions and relationships, and children and adolescents’ socioemotional development in contemporary Chinese societies. She is also interested in general issues pertaining to human development, family research, and gender studies. She has authored several book chapters and peer-reviewed articles on family and parent-child relations in China and is currently completing a monograph Chinese Fatherhood: Ideals, Involvement, Interactions, and Influences, to be published by Routledge.
Li a participant in the Pujiang Talent Program (2017-2019) from Shanghai Administration of Foreign Expert Affairs and a recipient of the John & Beatrice Whiting Memorial Award for Outstanding Student in Cross-Cultural Studies, Society for Cross-Cultural Research (2012). She is affiliated with professional bodies such as the Society for Research on Child Development and the International Association of Cross-Cultural Psychology, and has served on the Student Advisory Committee of the International Society for Interpersonal Acceptance-Rejection from 2012 to 2015. She has also served as a peer reviewer for academic journals and conferences such as the International Journal of Psychology; Journal of Child and Family Studies, Journal of Family Psychology; and the Society for Research on Child Development Biennial Conference (2017, 2019).
- Li, D. & Li, X. (2019). Within- and between-individual variations in fathers’ emotional expressivity in Chinese families: Contributions of children’s emotional Expressivity and fathers’ emotion-related beliefs and perceptions. Social Development. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1111/sode.12368
- Li, X., Huang, C-Y., & Shen, A. C-T. (2019). Dating behaviors and adolescent adjustment in Chinese societies. Children and Youth Services Review, 96, 108-117. doi:10.1016/j.childyouth.2018.11.036
- Li, X. (2018). Chinese fathers in the 20th century: Changing roles as parents and as men. Nordic Journal of Feminist and Gender Research, 26(4), 1-18.
- Li, X. & Meier, J. (2017). Father love versus mother love: Contributions of parental acceptance to children's psychological adjustment. Journal of Family Theory and Review, 9(4), 359-390. doi: 10.1111/jftr.12227
- Zerle-Elsäßer, C. & Li. X. (2017). Aktive Vaterschaft: Definition und Einflussfaktoren. Zeitschrift der Familienforschung/Journal of Family Research, 29(1), 11-31. (in German) doi: 10.3224/zff.v29i1.01
- PhD, Psychology
University of Cambridge
- MPhil, Social and Developmental Psychology
University of Cambridge